C.E.U. (Centro de Escaladas Urbanas) is a grassroots climbing program for disadvantaged youth from Rio de Janeiro’s many favelas (shantytowns). It is the first school of its kind in all of Brazil, focused on making rock climbing more accessible and using it as an innovative and engaging tool to promote self-confidence, a healthy/active lifestyle as well as greater appreciation and respect for the environment.
Our is aim to:
- Create a safe space and trustworthy group of friends
- Build self-confidence as well as more focused and healthy lifestyles
- Introduce a fresh and exciting sport that has previously been inaccessible to the less privileged classes of Rio de Janeiro, as well as help train a new generation of Brazilian climbers.
- Help create a stronger appreciation and respect for the environment by exposing youth to Rio de Janeiro’s extensive natural beauty
- Create income generating opportunities for youth interested in working as local tourism guides or by managing the rock gym.